This delicious Creamy Greek Yogurt Cilantro Lime Sauce is the perfect addition to any and all tacos! This versatile sauce is a healthier version of the traditional cilantro lime crema and it's delicious on just about anything!
I know that I've mentioned it time and time again on this blog, but in case you're new around here. Hi! I'm Vicci and I LOVE SAUCE. That is truly no understatement. I feel as if sauce has the ability to elevate a great dish and turn it into a phenomenal one.
I'm always looking for different sauces to add to my flavor palate, so when I discovered cilantro lime crema while eating Costco street tacos, I was an instant fan.
What is Cilantro Lime Sauce?
Cilantro lime sauce, or cilantro lime crema is made from a handful of very simple, everyday ingredients. The traditional recipe contains a combination of sour cream, oils, avocados, cilantro, lime and spices.
In order to ease up on the calories a little, this healthier version Cilantro Lime Sauce contains a few substitutions.
- Nonfat Greek yogurt - we're using this instead of sour cream to lighten up the calories while still maintaining a deliciously creamy texture. For a vegan version, feel free to substitute with an almond milk or coconut milk based Greek style yogurt instead.
- Avocados - the avocado further adds to the creaminess of this sauce. It also contains enough natural oils to allow us to omit any additional oils - further reducing the calorie count.
- Lime - this adds the refreshing tanginess to this sauce
- Garlic - this recipe used garlic powder, however you can also use minced garlic
- Jalapeños - these are totally optional, depending on whether you like your sauce with a little bit of heat. You can also control the level of spiciness by adding or removing the seeds, or adding more jalapeños to the sauce.
- Black pepper (optional) to taste
How to Make Cilantro Lime Sauce
- Chop the cilantro and dice the avocado, add to a large bowl. If you are using jalapeños, dice them up and add them to the bowl also.
- Add in the Greek yogurt and seasonings. Squeeze juice from lime and add the 2 tablespoons of water.
- Using a hand blender, combine until fully incorporated. The sauce should be a slightly thick, creamy texture. Feel free to add more water until desired consistency is achieved.
No Hand Blender? No Problem!
If you don't have a hand blender, you can also use a food processor or a regular blender (the Nutri Ninja works GREAT for this). You may find that you need to add a little more water or even lime juice in order to allow the blender to fully incorporate the ingredients.
What to Eat Cilantro Lime Sauce With
Now it's no surprise that this sauce pairs extremely well with tacos. Whether you're drizzling it over fish tacos, shrimp, chicken or beef - one thing for sure is that this sauce does not discriminate.
Being that this sauce is gluten free, low carb, vegetarian and has the option to also be vegan (see above), the versatility makes it the perfect dip to bring to a party or game night.
Keep the sauce thicker as a dip for fries and tortilla chips; or thin out the consistency and use it as a salad dressing!
Here are some of our favorite recipes to use it with: