This Healthy Chicken Salad with Grapes and Walnuts is absolutely delicious! This recipe is lightened up with nonfat Greek yogurt in place of mayonnaise. The pairing of celery with red grapes and walnuts provides the perfect sweet and savory combination!
Chicken salad sandwiches happen to be one of my favorite types of sandwiches. I think that it's the combination of the creaminess, tied in with the savory ingredients and slightly sweet additions.
Slap a few giant spoonfuls of that creamy chicken salad in between a buttery croissant and it doesn't really get much better than that! 🤤
However, a few too many of those yummy chicken salad sandwiches can backfire in the calorie department...fast.
I've remedied that issue by developing what I consider to be, the best Healthy Chicken Salad with Grapes and Walnuts I've tasted. It has all of the great flavor profiles of a traditional chicken salad, just lightened up a little!
- Chicken Breast - For this recipe, I used cooked chicken breast that I had made the night before in my crockpot. However, you can absolutely use a rotisserie chicken in place of cooking the chicken breasts. It will definitely help to save some time!
- Nonfat Greek Yogurt - This really helps to lighten up the chicken salad. By substituting mayonnaise or sour cream with nonfat Greek yogurt, we're cuttin' back on those cals without compromising the creaminess. Win win!
- Red Grapes - You may use any type of grapes for your chicken salad, however I chose to use red grapes to add some color contrast. Tasty and aesthetically pleasing!
- Mustard, salt, black pepper + garlic powder - These help to provide a dynamic savory taste to pleasantly contrast with the sweetness of the grapes
- Walnuts and Celery - These not only add more flavor, but they also add some crunch to really provide some texture. All of the mouth feels. 😍
How to Make Healthy Chicken Salad with Walnuts and Grapes
- Begin with either chopping cooked chicken into cubes or shredding it. Add to a large bowl. Halve the grapes and chop the celery. Add to bowl of chicken.
- Add in nonfat Greek yogurt, walnuts, mustard, salt, black pepper and garlic powder. Use a spoon or fork to thoroughly combine all of the ingredients.
- Serve with side of choice and enjoy!
What to eat Chicken Salad with
Like I mentioned previously, my all time favorite way to eat chicken salad is inside a buttery croissant. However, if you are trying to keep it calorie conscious, here are some other delicious foods to enjoy this chicken salad with:
- Bell peppers
- Celery sticks
- Lettuce wraps
- Thinly sliced French baguette
- Wheat Thins - 140 calories per serving
- Nut Thins - 130 calories per serving
- Good Thins - 130 calories per serving
Or, you can totally just grab a spoon and eat it right out of the bowl. I have done this quite a few times, no shame in the game.
Storage and Alternative Add-ins
If you don't plan on consuming all of the chicken salad within 2 hours, I highly recommend storing in an airtight container and refrigerating. The chicken salad should be consumed within 5 days.
You may also feel free to substitute the walnuts for other nuts such as sliced almonds or pecans. You can also experiment with adding dried cranberries or chopped apples to increase the sweetness. If you are eating low carb, feel free to omit the grapes altogether to keep this carb friendly.