This Healthy Mexican Shrimp Burrito Bowl is packed with so much flavor! This recipe includes Roasted Cilantro Lime Corn and is drizzled with Creamy Cilantro Lime Sauce over a bed of cauliflower rice. Yum!
This Mexican Shrimp Burrito Bowl recipe has been getting all the love in our household lately. Although it's currently winter, and soups have made their return, I still find myself whipping up these bowls for a healthy, protein packed pick me up.
Back in my college days, I vividly remember making the trip to Chipotle where I would wait in the infamous long line to get my burrito bowl before heading to my evening class. There was just something about a warm bed of rice, topped with meat, beans and vegetables that made those lectures somewhat bearable.
I decided to create my own healthier spin on the burrito bowl, by making a few substitutions, without compromising the flavor one bit!
The best thing about burrito bowls, is that you can customize them endlessly with ingredients that you already have on hand. For this recipe, I used:
- Frozen Cauliflower Rice - By substituting regular rice with cauliflower rice, you save a ton of calories and also end up making this a relatively low carb meal.
- Shrimp - Raw shrimp is preferred for this recipe, as it allows for the seasonings to really soak through during the cooking process
- Roasted Cilantro Lime Corn - You don't want to skip this step, trust me on this!
- Black Beans
- Creamy Greek Yogurt Cilantro Lime Sauce - It's great on everything, especially this recipe!
TIPS FOR USING FRESH CAULIFLOWER: Cut the fresh cauliflower into medium sized chunks and add to a food processor. Pulse the cauliflower a few times until a rice-like consistency is formed. Transfer to a microwave-safe bowl, cover, and microwave for 5 minutes.
How to make Mexican Shrimp Burrito Bowls
- In a large bowl, add the shrimp, lime juice and seasonings. Use a spoon to combine and combine thoroughly.
- Spray a medium frying pan and cook shrimp on medium-high heat until pink - approx. 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Microwave frozen cauliflower rice according to package instructions (see above for steps using fresh cauliflower). Drain black beans, microwave for 1 minute and set aside.
- Transfer cauliflower rice to a dinner bowl. Top with shrimp, diced tomatoes, black beans and Roasted Cilantro Lime Corn. Drizzle with Creamy Cilantro Lime Sauce and enjoy!
Allergic to shellfish, or just not a fan? - Feel free to sub shrimp with chicken, fish or beef!
For a vegan/vegetarian alternative, feel free to substitute the shrimp with tofu. If going the vegan route, be sure to also use a non-dairy substitute for the Creamy Cilantro Lime Sauce. Almond or Coconut Milk based yogurts work great.
Want it spicy? - Feel free to add ground red pepper to the shrimp seasoning. You could also add some diced jalapeños to your burrito bowl!
For Storage - Burrito bowl can be transferred to a food safe container and kept in the fridge for up to 3 days. Enjoy hot or cold!
This recipe is naturally gluten free and highly customizable which means that virtually anybody can enjoy!